Thursday, April 04, 2013

In defense of Menno's


Thinking about Mennonites.

In the 1500s, they refused to participate in war – even though they faced death and my father’s ancestors would have called them immoral.  Menno’s tolerated other’s actions, but didn’t accept war as justified ever.

In the 1700s, they went to Russia at the Czarine’s request, settled the land, but eventually were again pushed to join the army.  They didn’t condemn the Russians, they just wanted to leave.  My father’s ancestors would have called them cowards.

In 1911, a Mennonite church in Netherlands had a female pastor; in Canada women were not persons until 1929.  Everyone’s ancestors would have called that radical and against the social order.

In WW1 and 2, they were asked to fight, and did jail or alternative service – and all of our ancestors called them immoral.  Since then, they’ve been among the first in Peacemaker teams, anti-captial punishment, mediation, HIV hospice care, and famine relief.  In the 80s while my church was debating gay ordination, my Mennonite friends were curious, polite, and perhaps disagreeing with it, but rather tolerant. It was secular friends who said ‘Why do you want THEM leading your church?’

In 2013, society has leaped forward and is now asking the Mennos to not just tolerate gay students but impose accepting school groups.  I think the Mennos are wrong on this one... but in the light of history and to beg forgiveness for the sins of my non-Mennonite ancestors, I’m willing to tone down the rhetoric and condemnation a bit.  I’ve attended and worked in Mennonite schools and if I was worried about my kids being bullied, I would choose to put them in a Mennonite school.  My kids in public school have been taught since Kindergarten that bully=terrorist... and yet it still happens. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home