Thursday, February 15, 2007

Zen of Transit

The Zen of Transit
Being stuck on the bus has made me a better person. I’m a small town boy who a year ago didn’t know how to take a bus and drove everywhere, but life changes and if everything has a purpose, being confined to a mobile tin can for my transport needs has been good for my soul.
Once you ‘grok’ the workings of our un-rapid system, you can grow to appreciate it. It is neither good nor bad - it simply is. Like so many things in nature, it cares not why you are late - it simply goes by. I give the Great Gods of the Interweb my location and my goal, and if I trust in their yogic instructions, we both succeed. Of course, absolute trust involves showing up a little early.
How they wait tells you a lot about people. Some will chat to their fellow human, but most cannot just ‘wait’. They smoke, pace, keep checking the time, look again, and huff and complain. But once in their seat, they are still passively waiting for their destination, but somehow that feels more like ‘doing something.’
A panhandler once said he served a higher purpose for people because they had to examine for themselves how they treated him. A rude driver or impatient passenger has the same calling - for you are your true self when under duress. The freedom of passive transport means you cannot always do all your errands on one transfer, so you prioritize what is important, and will amaze yourself at what you can do without. Having someone else chauffeur me around allows me to ignore the gas station prices and actually have time for my self.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home