Saturday, February 10, 2007

Yesterday's Liberals...

Yesterdays Liberals are tomorrow's Conservatives. And maybe vice versa.

I always tried to be a 'good guy' and ultimately respectful and even 'PC' - now, who cares. Move on. At one time, if someone said 'the guys on the loading dock', I wondered if in fine 70s style nag 'well, there could be females working there too, and you are disenfranchise... blah blah' - now - I don't care.

It's all about how it works for you. Pure practicality. If Donald Trump is crude - he is crude. If Rosie is crude - no excuses - she is crude. I don't care if you are whatevergender, whateverorientation, whateverrace, you are just one racial slur away from obscurity and being a has-been or never-was. Blah Blah, historical inequality blah blah... ok, taken as read. Now - what are WE going to do today and tomorrow. Marginalizing anyone just doesn't seem to work.

Gay couple wants to marry - great - makes the marriage industry go up 5%.
Want to adopt - great - some kid gets parentified.
Want to join the army - better you than me.
Does harrassment or mistreatment of anyone make you more productive? No - then don't do it.
Parents need to leave work to look after kid - why doesn't your business run an on-site daycare and you'll squeeze even more hours out of an employee?
You want to open your own private clinic - fine - reduce the waiting list for me.

Part of being 'accepted' means no extra excuses - do what you gotta do - pay your tax - love your family - leave me alone unless we want to hang out together - and we'll all do fine.

To quote Henry Higgins (via George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalian or 'My Fair Lady' without the music) - "It's not that I treat you bad - I just don't treat anyone better."

Buck up, Buttercup. It's cold out - so wear a parka.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home